Peppermint Layer CakeDownload
Prep Time: 30 min (plus chill time)
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 60 min
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 (16.5-ounce) box Food Club White Deluxe Cake Mix
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- 2 (16-ounce) containers Food Club Vanilla Creamy Frosting
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously grease 2, 8 inch-round cake pans with butter, then dust with flour, tapping out any excess. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites, water, oil, and peppermint extract in a large bowl. Add cake mix and stir until combined.
- Transfer half of batter into a separate bowl. Add food coloring, a drop at a time, mixing until desired pink color is achieved. Transfer pink batter to one prepared cake pan and white batter to the other. Bake cakes for 26 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Cool cakes completely on a wire rack. Wrap each cake in plastic and freeze for at least 30 minutes. When chilled, use a serrated knife to divide each cake into two layers.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat frosting until light and fluffy. Stack cake layers, frosting in between each layer, alternating between white and pink. Decorate with crushed candy.